Sunday, March 30, 2014

Of the Story

I've always been interested in games. At first it was merely playing them, but when I was faced with the question of what I wanted to do with my life, the idea of being involved in the making of games popped up. Thus, when I heard about Game Club, I was more than ready to give it a try, and am I glad I did.

The project Back From Afar has seen many changes from the initial plans during the production. Personally, I was mainly involved with story/level design, though I did work with the code as well. All in all, it was a wonderful learning experience in many levels. 

Now, something about the story planning on Back From Afar. The main character was agreed on fairly early on, but the story behind everything took a few more turns before it shaped up. Aside from the bullying concept that made it to the game, there was also a suggestion of the child escaping into the space world due to problems at home.

Oh, better also not to forget the original concept that started it all: A single space rocket escapes a planet that looks just like Earth before it is hit by a meteoroid. After this the player is left in the space, going from planet to planet looking for a new home. However, the player runs into complications planet after planet, not being able to settle down. After going through the planets, the player would then finally make it to the last one, a planet similar to Earth (just like the one shown at the beginning), signaling their homecoming.

During the development, quite a few different planets were thought up, yet due to time restraints, we decided to work on three at first. This means should the project continue in the future, we've already got material to work on. Concerning future material, it is not limited only to new planets either. When we were working on the story, we also came up with few possible continuations to Back From Afar's events. 

Sincerely,
Joonas Tiilikainen

No comments:

Post a Comment